Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Sprinkle of Cinnamon...

Cinnamon is an amazing spice.  Since I've been reading about it's healthy qualities. I've been trying to use it everyday.  I like to sprinkle it in my tea and coffee to try and get some in on a daily basis.  It is a super rich antioxidant, balances blood sugar, its a great anti-inflammatory, it's calming and aids in digestion and can also help with blood circulation to name a few.  It is said that even the mere scent of cinnamon  can stimulate regions of the brain to increase attention span and  memory.  I also love all its mention in the bible.

  Dear lover and friend, you're a secret garden, a private and pure fountain. Body and soul, you are paradise, a whole orchard of succulent fruits— Ripe apricots and peaches, oranges and pears; Nut trees and cinnamon, and all scented woods; Mint and lavender, and all herbs aromatic; A garden fountain, sparkling and splashing, fed by spring waters from the Lebanon mountains. 
(Song of Solomon 4:13-15) 

I have perfumed my bed with Myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.  (Proverbs 7:17) 

There are two types of cinnamon.  Ceylon is lighter and sweeter and Cassia is spicier and more pungent, it is preferred in savory dishes and curries .  Ceylon is typically more expensive and said to be more beneficial.   While they both are beneficial, the Cassia contains higher levels of coumarins which can cause too low a blood thinning affect.  I've learned that sometimes it is hard to tell which cinnamon it is.  So do your research.  The average bottle of ground cinnamon won't say which it is.  So always use with moderation unless you know for sure your cinnamon is Ceylon.   If you use alot of cinnamon or want to make sure you are getting the Ceylon one.  And as always I think organic is best.
Some other ways to get more cinnamon in your day:
  • coffee
  • yogurt
  • oatmeal
  • baked apples or baked pineapples
  • applesauce
  • and baking (of course) 
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com, http://www.whfoods.com,
http://www.biblegateway.com/Songofsolomon



1 comment:

  1. I adore anything Cinnamon and as I sprinkle on oatmeal, farina and deserts, the nutrient value is in the back of my brain. Thanks for the break down and more importantly, reminding me of how passionate Song of Solomon is:)

    ReplyDelete